Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My sister got married on saturday!

'Twas very exciting! Well, the saturday was anyway. I went up on Thursday night so I'd be there on Friday to help set up the church and buy some wedding shoes, ties etc. I noticed quite quickly during the day how much stress people must be under the day before their own wedding, as Michelle was quite ready to bite the head off anyone who crossed her in the slightest way. I did what I could to help while avoiding her when possible. Which doesn't really sound good, but I like my head where it is, and left her to concentrate on giving orders. We managed to pick out some matching ties that she was happy with, then she went to get her hair done, and mum and I went shoe shopping. Bought the second pair of shoes I tried on, in the first shop I went into, and was done. (Hooray for fast shoe shopping!)

Brett (at the time the fiancee, now husband), one of his groomsmen, and myself went and stayed at the house of a friend of mine on the friday night. The girls had taken over my parents house and it was kinda chaotic... and we wanted hot showers. Was good to stay at my mate's house, as he was a good friend of mine who was only married a few months ago, and I was best man for that wedding. We watched the footy and went to bed.

In the morning Sam, my mate's wife, cooked us wonderful pancakes with caramel sauce for breakfast... mmm... and we watched a movie then started getting ready.

Everything ran pretty smoothly from then on. We all managed to get dressed and to the church on time. I ushered people in and gave them bubble blowers. There was a bonus of being one of the ushers, I got to be outside when Chelle arrived. So I got some good photos.

She looked beautiful, of course, and the wedding went really well with only one minor stuff up when Brett said, "With this wing I thee red." Which got a nice laugh. Michelle managed to stay upright coming up the aisle, and in so doing lost the $40 she had bet on falling over.

Reception was fun, good food, fun chatting with people I don't see very often. Danced with my sister, of course, and took lots of photos. Over the whole day I took about 100 or so photos. If you want to see them I have them on my mp3 player and can show people if you want. Not posting them on the web.

I got lots of hugs, which was really nice. My old group of friends while I was at uni was very huggy, and when you got a hug they really meant it and were genuinely happy to see you. My friends on the coast give the same hugs, and it's something I miss every now and again. It's really cool getting those type of hugs, where they're happy to give you a good solid hug, not just a bit of a pat on the back and let go. But then, not everyone is a huggy type of person and some people just aren't comfortable doing that. I think you need to be really comfortable with people for those hugs. What's other people's thoughts on this?

3 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Ponyb said...

a hug is something that is hard to compare i reckon. my reasoning is that a hug is such a personal gesture: youre opening yourself up to the other person and saying "i trust you and care about you enough to embrace you, possibly at my own risk" (wallet thieves, anybody?). but anyhoo, i know what you mean by the idea of individuals not being comfortable in some hugs. i personally find it hard to hug girls particularly; i just find it weird. i do the ole' "quick embrace + pat on the back + i can go now" kinda thing, 'cause i find it...weird. muck around hugs with the boys are a lot easier, probably something that came as a benefit of playing rugby for two years: i am comfortable getting down and dirty for the sake of fun. serious hugs with other guys isnt really my thing, im more of a handshake/pat-on-th-back guy.

and now my brain just fizzled out of ideas.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Ponyb said...

oh, and it sounds like a swell time was had by all at the wedding! onya chris!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Gloz said...

i only give solid real hugs to girls...well unless i know that guy particularly well...but by saying that i dont mean giving a 'quick embrace+pat on the back' hug is not from my heart. you know what i'm saying...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home